This week at East Liberty Presbyterian Church,
the “Cathedral of Hope”
Thanksgiving Week - November 23, 2010
Enter God’s gates with thanksgiving! Give thanks to God; bless God’s name!
Tonight: Interfaith Thanksgiving Service, Nov 23 Note new time 7:30 pm
These and other ELPC classes & events are listed on our website calendar. Click here to view the monthly calendar. Or, view just the details on this week’s classes.
ELPC hosts the 35th Annual Community Interfaith Thanksgiving Service, bringing together the Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, and Islamic communities. Bob Nelkin, head of the United Way, will be our guest speaker. Come give thanks to God for the blessings generously provided to people of all faiths. Please bring a canned good or other non-perishable item to this family-friendly service, as a way to support the East End Cooperative Ministry food pantry.
- Contemporaries: “Reframing Circumstances, Unlearning to Learning,” with Joe Kennedy. Second floor parlor.
- Journey with Scripture: Isa. 2:1–5; Ps. 122; Rom. 13:11–14; Mt. 24:36–44, with Jan Irvin. Second floor library.
- Parenting Circle: “Thanksgiving Meditations,” part 2 of 2, with Frances Irvin and Yamuna. First floor, Harambe Room.
- Seekers: “Scripture You Won’t Hear in Church,” part 1 of 2, with Rev. Bush. Second floor parlor.
- Soul Food: Joyce Rupp’s Fresh Bread, with Nancy Klancher. Second floor, Pastor’s conference room.
Additional worship and prayer opportunities during the week
- Taizé prayer service: Every Wednesday, 7:00 pm in the Chapel. November 24 service followed by “Celebrations!” Do you celebrate a special date in November? Write it down and put it in the collection plate--we will celebrate with you! Childcare available from 6:45 to 8:15.
- Labyrinth prayer walk: Wednesday, November 24, 9:00 am - 9:00 pm and on Monday, November 29, 9:00 am to 1:30 pm. In the Social Hall.
- Centering prayer: Tuesday, November 30, 7:00 pm. Room 250.
News and highlights
Tonight! Shopping Night! Nov 23, 6 to 8 pm
The Board of Deacons is sponsoring a shopping night at Ten Thousand Villages on Tuesday, November 23 from 6 - 8 pm. A percentage of all sales will benefit ELPC hunger programs.
Advent Crafts and Santa Shop, December 4
ELPC Deacons’ “Giving Tree,” Nov 28, Dec 5
Every year the Deacons organize a Christmas Giving Tree to benefit children and families from EECM, our ELPC Mission Ministry, Hope Academy, and Educational Ministries. Read more
Volunteers in Ministry (VIM) opportunities
Each week we feature open opportunities where we need your hands, especially for the annual “Hanging of the Greens.” Read more about this week’s volunteer opportunities
Hope Academy Winter Concert and EL CEO, December 5 at 3pm
Get the holidays off to a wonderful start with this free concert featuring classical, rock, gospel and world music. Read more
Jail caroling clearances due by November 30
Share a message of hope, prayers, cookies and songs with inmates at the Allegheny County Jail on December 18. Clearances required by November 30; contact Mary Alice Lightle, (412) 682-1504.
And ... a special “Happy Thanksgiving” wish to all of our readers!
Renaissance City Choirs Holiday Concert
The Renaissance City Choirs Holiday Concert is Saturday, December 11, 8pm at Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door; however, choir members can sell tickets at $20 if they sell groups of ten. The seating is general admission(Student tickets are $10.) See Carol Chonoska or Ashley Birt for details.
East End Cooperative Ministry (EECM) Food Pantry
The EECM Food Pantry provides food for individuals and families facing hunger in Pittsburgh. November’s “Food of the Month” is instant mashed potatoes.
East End Cooperative Ministry (EECM) Men’s Shelter
During the month of November, the Deacons continue to collect XL men’s underwear, tee-shirts, and deodorant for EECM’s Men’s Shelter. Donations may be left in the hallway baskets. Thank you for your support!