The Peace Committee seeks to promote peace in our local and global communities through education, involvement, advocacy, and prayer, in response to the gospel. Chair is Peta Harrigan Cole. View the Mission Activities page to see upcoming events.
Peta Harrigan Cole (ELPC Elder) is co-leader of the mission team traveling to Malawi this summer from July 18th to August 4th. The Commissioning Service will be held at Lebanon Presbyterian Church, 2800 Old Elizabeth Road in West Mifflin. The service will be Sunday, July 14th from 6:00-8:00 pm. Please pray for the mission team as they prepare and travel to Malawi!
Our Mission Areas are:
- International Partnerships/Relationships
- Interfaith Relationships
- Local and National Peace Issues
Our Current Activities
- Holy Land: Donated to “Pilgrims of Ibillin” for use in primary education in support of peace--building in Israel/Palestine.
- South Sudan: We are excited to be adding the world’s newest country to our list of focus countries for 2012. Some committee members attended the Independence Celebration on July 9, 2011 and the leader of the local Sudanese community spoke at an informational event which we hosted. We now have a relationship with the local community and hope to plan other events for the future to update the congregation.
- Pakistan: After the Rev. Jim Tebbe, President of Forman Christian College, spoke here recently, we explored ways to help. The college is committed to improving the quality of education at all levels and there is a great financial need. The committee donated to Friends of Forman Christian College.
- Malawi: The Malawi Partnership is a ministry of the Pittsburgh Presbytery and is coordinated at ELPC by the Peace Committee. We celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Partnership this year and the Commissioning Service for the Missionaries going to Malawi was held at ELPC. The reception which followed was co-hosted by the Peace Committee. Two members of our congregation visited our sister church Balaka CCAP and took a monetary gift from the committee. We also recently sent a gift to Chigodi Women’s Center--a training center for young women to study English, Bible knowledge, agriculture, home economics, and financial management/ entrepreneurial ideas.
- Interfaith Relationships: We contributed to the purchase of a “Peace Pole” for our church and participated in an afternoon of meditation and interfaith prayers for peace on the tenth anniversary commemoration of the September 11 attacks.
The Peace Committee advocates on behalf of peace issues as they arise. We do letter writing campaigns and endorse/participate with other groups in working to transform conditions and relationships that threaten peace. Please join us at our bi-monthly meetings to learn more about mission opportunities for peace and help with projects throughout the year.
The Director of Mission Ministries oversees the day-to-day operations; the Mission Board and four committees are dedicated members of the congregation who volunteer their time and energy. Please prayerfully consider becoming involved in or financially supporting these ministries.
For more information about ELPC’s mission ministries, contact The Rev. Patrice L. Fowler-Searcy, Director of Mission Ministries, or phone, (412) 441-3800 x30; or Kate Carlson, Administrative Assistant, by
or phone, (412) 441-3800 x16.